Sunday, August 5, 2007

Choosing Your Novel's Title

I thought this was interesting. I've been toying with the idea of a steampunk novel for a while so I've been looking around getting the feel of what the genre is about (no, I'm not calling it genre fiction, at least I hope I'm not) and I kept seeing one author's name popping up over and over but oddly enough, the title of his novel would change, seemingly with each interview.

I'm not sure with this person's story is but his name is Trent Jamieson (his blog, which I haven't really read is here) and in three different features on him his steampunk novel is called "The Night Beyond Land," "Roil" and "The Festival of Float." I'm beginning to think this guy is a fabrication of some kind but there are other interviews with him, like this one and this one. Fortunately he is listed on Amazon.

Anyway, the point is that you're allowed to alter the name of your novel all you want, authors do this all the time. However, it's a good idea to stick with one title once you go public with your manuscript because I think that changing the title of it so many times in the public eye doesn't reflect creativity so much as instability.

2 comments:

Trent Jamieson said...

I think you're totally right, and that this novel will ultimately be called "the unpublished novel that Trent should have never spoken about" we live and learn.

The unfabricated Trent.

Walker Ferox said...

Hahaha! Hey, just make sure you let me read it one day! I love the idea.