Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Online Dictionaries

I love the meaning of words. To me not only does finding just the right word for something help you sub-vocalize about things in a more precise manner but it allows you to really communicate your ideas clearly but I'm really getting tired of dictionary.com.

It's slow.
They want you to pay for some content.
They have big banner ads.

Now there are a lot of online dictionaries out there:
Dictionary.com
Thefreedictionary.com
Etymonline.com
Merriam-Webster
Google (yes, really. Just type in "define:word" where word is the word you're looking for.)
dict.org (Thanks Mat!)

And one you should bookmark:
Urbandictionary.com

I've decided to use two online dictionaries from now on. My second deeper investigation of a word will check dictionary.com, but from now on my initial search for a word will be at Ninjawords.com.

Ninjawords is clean, fast and efficient. It's like google for words in many ways. And they have one feature that just blows dictionary.com out of the ocean.

A PERSONAL SEARCH HISTORY. Finally.

Bookmark it.
Love it.
Use it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You forgot perhaps the cleanest one of all: http://www.dict.org/bin/Dict